Saturday, July 9, 2011

July 9,2011 ~ Math Work Stations Chapters 1&2

I am a little tardy to the "Math Workstations Blog Hop Party "
but I am so glad that I finally purchased this book.I think it is really going to help my second graders this year!

Chapter 1 Reflection: What is a Math Workstation? 
 I have always done some kind of math center in my classroom, but it was interesting to me to read the difference between a math center and a math workstation: To quote Debbie Diller," Math Work Stations are areas within the classroom where students work with a partner and use instructional materials to explore and expand their mathematical thinking." Math Workstations are to replace worksheets and really be a place for students to explore and extend what was presented in the whole group lesson.
Two areas I need to focus on improving in are:
  • Making Math  Work Station activities an extension of the whole group math lesson. 
  • Modeling the activities many times in whole group before I include it in a work station.
Chapter 2 Reflection: 
Where do you keep your math work stations and how are the materials organized?
Okay, now this chapter made me feel a little better than chapter 1.
 I have to say I am pretty good at organizing! I already have a math corner picked out in my new room 
( which by the way is much smaller than the room I've been in for many years). So I really needed to make sure I was only taking the supplies I really would use. I have a cabinet in my math corner with a shelf for each of the math areas and all of the items are sorted and labeled. Then I got some clear shoe box sized bins to keep the materials in that the students will use during stations.  
I also have a bulletin board and whiteboard in my math corner for the kiddos to use. 
They love write on whiteboards!!

Two new ideas I'd like to try from this chapter are:
  • Math mats- I've never had the kids work on a mat. I think this might help my students keep their math materials near them as opposed to letting them get all over the place.
  • Limiting amounts of manipulative's - I am guilty of letting my students have way to many of one manipulative and I can see how this would just promote playing instead of using them for the set purpose. I will make sure to only put the amount that they need in the math work station box.
(Ps. I also loved the awning idea on pg. 35 and 36. So super cute!)
Please comment if you have any other cool organizing or decorating ideas for the math corner!
Carolee




No comments:

Post a Comment